Monday, September 28, 2009

Con Speak


An interesting look at criminal speak by a guy who has done a study on convicts: http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2009/09/27/do_you_speak_criminal/?page=full. Cons dig "The Godfather." Imagine that.


When not running out Herr Olbermann and Herr Madow to expose the many sins of Republican knuckledraggers, MSNBC usually has on some prison documentary, often about violent criminals in San Quentin or somewhere similar. For some reason, I watch these. From doing so, I've become convinced that I never, ever want to go to prison. I'll be good. Promise.

2 comments:

nimdok said...

Having spent a brief time in such stalwarts of American rehabilitation as Soledad, San Quentin, Vacaville, Folsem and even Huntsville, I can say that your aversion to such places is not only understandable but also very wise.

Taras Bulba said...

I also once rented the first season of the HBO series, "Oz" that is centered in a prison somewhere. When in the first episode, a hapless white collar guy who was convicted and sentenced based on a DWI accident becomes the "bitch" to some Aryan Nation guy and is tattoed with a swastika on his but cheek--I checked out. I guess if I did go to prison, I would at all costs avoid being a wife but would also probably hook up with some idiot gang for protection. It's a cruel existance there where you pretty much need to get in touch with your inner animal in order to survive.