Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Forty for the Road


Nice piece on forty things to do while drinking before you throw down your last glass:
http://drunkard.com/issues/01-04/01-04-40-things.htm. How many have you done? I can count far fewer on the list than I thought before finishing reading it. There's a couple I'd do away with or replace with some of my own. Sadly, age and legal liability have neatly arranged some now clearly outside of my wheel house--don't know that I could go on (or would want to do) a three or four day bender at this stage of the race. I would add firearms to such a list--what could be grander than the excessive use of gun play while drinking other than guns and women while doing the same? That recalls a story from my long ago days in San Antonio involving a very, very wealthy customer who also owned what was then either the largest or next largest gun collection in the world. He would throw an annual outrageously large party at his ranch west of town and at one such gathering, became just a tad tipsy and decided to roll out one of his recent acquisitions; a fully working (and fully loaded) Gatling gun. The end result was a lot of tuxedos and formal gowns spread eagled in the caliche and a lot of Suburbans and Mercedes and Jaguars with unique indentions in their bodywork. Today, he'd be hauled off and lawsuits filed, etc. but then it was just another case of good ol' Charlie getting a little tight and having him some fun. Most everyone just got up, marvelled that they were still alive and then went back to downing quality liquor. Good times.

1 comment:

nimdok said...

I'm at 23 - 24 if you count "offering" to buy the bar a round but being turned down (was enjoying the Super Bowl at a shithole bar in Lima, OH. The rest of the patrons weren't as thrilled about the Cowboy's victory as I). Still have a lot of work to do.