Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Art Matters


Seems like Van Gogh didn't cut his ear off after all: Gauguin did it for him: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/art/news/was-truth-the-biggest-casualty-in-the-case-of-vincent-and-his-severed-ear-1678988.html. I've seen a butt-load of Van Goghs and Gauguins and all of the other mainly Frog impressionists via travelling exhibits from Paris, New York, and Chicago to museums here in Red State flyover country. Interesting stuff to look at. In fact, I saw a self portrait of Van Gogh (I think it was his first) in Fort Worth back in October and the thing is stunning to look at--I was transfixed by the it--Mrs. Taras thought I might have been on dope. When you stand right up to some of these things, the effect is a little bit different than looking at them in a magazine. I don't care for much in terms of modern stuff, though. I've seen a lot of the Jackson Pollock paint splatterings there in Houston and it doesn't make any sense to me. What the hell do I know, though? I went to bidness school.


1 comment:

nimdok said...

I often use Van Gogh's failure to sell more than a few of his paintings in his lifetime as a lesson for my kid. Basically, I tell him not to worry if others criticize his work or his actions, especially if either is done from his heart.

He loves the story of VG's "worthless" paintings selling for millions, and was equally transfixed by the Van Gogh self-portrait.