Monday, May 11, 2009

Out of Port


Some ramblings on Port: http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article05050901.aspx. I like port okay and get into a port mood, usually during the winter when I decide to do some reading in the room in our house where I'm normally not allowed to enter--you know, the nice living room that the missus has all of the nice furniture and decorative shit where you entertain some friend of hers and the friend's nerd husband once or twice a year over coffee after a goddamn dinner that would never f----g end. Yes, so I go in there and read something about the Marines storming Iwo or Texas Rangers chasing Comanches or some medieval era blood bath; all over a stiff glass of port. I've never been able to figure out what a "good" port is, so I've ended up buying stuff that's not the cheapest, but certainly not high dollar. Also, unlike the picture of traditional port drinkers, I usually guzzle at least three whiskey tumblers of it breaking all sensible port etiquette along the way. Now, after reading this piece I at least know that I can score points whenever I'm confronted by a snooty waiter with a stern inquiry as to why his establishment is not serving an '85 Fonseca or at least a '94?

Right now though in this part of the country, we're way past talking port or really anything that doesn't come cold and quick. It's ice cooler time.

2 comments:

Glenn Gunn said...

I usually enjoy a glass of port while reading the New York Times and watching a cockfight on pay per view.

Taras Bulba said...

I endorse that practice.