Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Some Economic Ramblings


Price Fishback (WTF?) says we're not going to end up eating road kill in this short, to the point analysis of the current economic woes: http://freakonomics.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/05/11/this-is-not-another-great-depression/?pagemode=print.


I was never any good in economics. I think I made A's and B's in undergrad but it was a struggle. In grad school, microeconomic theory came pretty close to deep sixing me--I hated that class then and I hate the son of a bitch today. Goddamn, I hated it. After I made it out, I was rummaging around in the little storeroom of my first house and saw the textbook for that class lying on a shelf. Right then and there, I decided that it was time for Mr. Microeconomics Smarty Pants to get a return lesson. The book, all classic and scholarly looking found itself sitting upright next to a mesquite tree on a friend's ranch--I'm sure it thought, "why the awful field trip to this god forsaken cactus infested place?" right up to the point where it saw me standing about fifty yards away with a Remington 700, chambered with 150 grain 30.06 Federal bullets. "You're a long way from goddamn Cambridge, now, aren't you motherfucker?" were the last words the son of a bitch ever heard. As an old cowboy once told me, "There's just some things that need killing."
For the record, a 30.06 will kill a micro textbook. I shot it three times for good measure.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's good shooting, soldier!