Friday, August 7, 2009

Life with Hef


Apparently, it's pretty much what you might think: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/5972961/Bunny-Tales-Behind-Closed-Doors-at-the-Playboy-Mansion-by-Izabella-St-James-review.html. We watched several episodes of that series, "Girls Next Door" and the thing that struck me beyond how awful and pathetic the whole Hefner/Playmate thing is was how run down and chintzy the place was judging by the interior shots of the mansion. This little review kind of confirms it.


The last Playboy I looked at was at "Charlie's Hair Styles" on Brazos Street several years ago, where Virgil the barber provided a highly officious haircut for, I think twelve bucks. Virgil and Charlie had one helluva collection of men's magazines available and would studiously examine the nasty pictures you were holding while also amazingly providing a pretty decent haircut in the process. Virgil up and retired from his life of providing hair services to the beautiful people, so that probably also meant he's no longer getting Playboy on a regular basis. Now, I see a young woman for my haircuts and there's little to read outside of Cosmo or Elle or that kind of stuff. I guess I could bring my own but that would be bad form. I recall that whenever a woman would enter the premises of Charlie's Hair Styles, the men there would sheepishly hide or cover whatever they were reading and stare at the floor, beet faced in their shame. Nothing really changes.

1 comment:

Ruprecht said...

Your barber shop reset? Spot on.