Monday, July 26, 2010

Weekend Round Up

Watched the season premiere of "Mad Men" last night.  Like "Breaking Bad," I've decided to begin religiously following the series.  Oh, I've watched it here and there but never consistently, but it's television worth viewing as they say and a worthy alternative to the usual "Housewives of Wherever" or tennis or gay men doing home improvement projects that we usually get around our house.  The ad stuff is great and reminds one of this:http://www.thebigmoney.com/slideshow/why-don-t-we-do-it-road 

Played customer golf on Friday afternoon with customers who had minimal bullshit capabilities on a course outside of town that was designed by monkeys suffering from food pellet deficiency.  I'm not a golf snob by any means, but some people should not be allowed anywhere near a designated property with a bulldozer or even a dull rake.  Continuity?  No sir!  Just random mounds, tricked up fairways and greens, and no idea of where it all leads.  It would, however, make a splendid gunnery range for the Air Force.

More golf on Saturday at my club this time and I'm pretty sure that I hit every tree on the course in a remarkable display of "pruning by Titleist."  They should have made an instructional video of my just under four hours of on course butchery of twigs, limbs, branches, and even an assault on a few trunks.  Ghastly.

Went back that evening for the monthly "wine dinner" they hold where the club invites a local wine wholesaler who features wines from a certain country or region that are pared with a three course meal that usually isn't bad.  An opportunity to meet new people and the usual country club drill and all and an occasion to throw back five or six glasses of wine and head back home to fool around or pass out or both.  This month was Germany and I assumed a pretty good time for some nice German whites which the country is know for that will, of course, be served chilled to match the upper nineties heat outside, etc.  No.  Instead, the wine merchant, "Mary" who has/had been drilling "Ted" the handsome bartender listened to Ted's wonderful advice that the membership overwhelmingly favors red wines and so she then searched and actually found (and served) some German reds.  Horrible and there is damn good reason the square heads produce white wines and it's because reds out of there have all of the charm of Red Army rapists.   Disappointing but I have to say the overall awfulness didn't prevent me from guzzling them down which says I'm either opportunistic, a drunk, or conditioned to not turn down drinks.  Pathetic.

At the urging of Daughter #2, went with her to see "Inception" yesterday afternoon (she had already seen it and liked it immensely).  I like intelligent movies, or more accurately, movies that are written above a second grade education which are sort of rare which this movie clearly represents.  That said, I didn't really care for it--lot's of effort and the payoff just isn't there.  Call me a dullard.  After all, I did eagerly drink down about four glasses of German reds.

Back to Mad Men.  They do a pretty good job with the look, feel, and attitudes of the bidness world of the sixties.  Hell, even some of the stuff reminds me of what I was around in the 80's when I got out of college.  Smoking at desks and in cars and pretty much everywhere?  Check.  Female secretaries typing out letters?  Check.  Lots of drinking at all times of the day?  Sort of check--never saw a lot of that, but it was around.  Anyway, I'll be following the exploits of Don Draper and his merry crew and waiting for the return of the happy and wholesome story of meth production in Breaking Bad.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Breaking Bad has become my favorite show. It's gritty and humorous. I also follow Mad Men along with a few other programs that I think are well written. The thing about Mad Men is that it's subtle. Nothing has to happen for me to enjoy it. It's just there and things happen gradually.

Taras Bulba said...

Another show that I think is fairly brilliant is "Archer" on FX. The show that causes me to giggle the most is probably "Robot Chicken" on the cartoon channel. Some seriously funny stuff.

Unknown said...

I love Archer. Allison doesn't understand my infatuation with it. It's crass and falls right into my wheelhouse. FX is having a good run. I'm also a fan of their show "Justified".