Monday, August 16, 2010

Driving on the Left Side

James Ledbetter thinks that though corporate bigwigs are increasingly Democrats, things are not that much different:http://www.slate.com/id/2263788.  At least, I think that is his conclusion.  Maybe I should read more stuff from James Ledbetter to understand him.

Back from travels, namely to Colorado and some R&R in Crested Butte.  Hiked, rode bikes, fly fished and wandered up and down Elk Avenue following Mrs. Bulba and the Bulba daughters around.  Also, rode horses up and down Snodgrass Mountain which is not my preferred activity but Bulba Daughter #2 is a horse nut so there you have it.  My horse was named, "Duncan," and he got me up and down the damn thing without throwing me or deciding to hurl himself and me off a cliff or something.  All in all, a pretty good ride though Duncan did exhibit a fair amount of passive aggressive behavior, occasionally bumping me into an aspen tree or snatching some food when I wasn't paying attention--I'm pretty sure he does that to amuse himself during his daily grind of hauling idiot tourists up and down a damn mountain--I really can't blame him.  If you were a gelding, you'd have to think of new ways to have fun, too.
Pretty place, Crested Butte.  Had only seen it in the winter before, after sliding up and down Monarch Pass in a death race through snow and ice in order to get there to ski and have hot chocolate and throw another log on the fire.  Weather was obscenely gorgeous and the air was nothing short of delicious--a cruel and awful thing if you're a Texan and know each passing day of the vacation that you're one day closer to returning to the beat down of solid 100 degree plus days.  
Spent the last day of vacation in Fort Collins where Bulba Daughter #1 attends school.  Nothing funner than to push a cart through Target, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Wal-Mart to provision her in the necessary accoutrements for apartment (actually, an old house) living. 
The credit card got a pretty good workout this month and a cortisone shot is probably in order.

No comments: