Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Like/Don't Like for Thursday


Like:



"The Border" with Jack Nicholson, Warren Oates, Harvey Keitel, etc. Also great soundtrack by Ry Cooder. One of my favorite all time songs is Cooder's "The Borderline" performed by Freddy Fender. No one has ever heard of it but they should. If someone covered it today, it would go straight to the top of the charts.



Don't like:



Senator Harry Fucking Reid. What a miserable scold and outright cocksucker. The "enrage" button in my mind kicks on at the first glance of the little shit.




Like:


The rare weekend morning where I can sleep in a little, have breakfast, and spend an hour or so with a pot of strong coffee along with the local rag and the WSJ. At some point in this process, a large and resounding dump will be mixed in. Afterward, I'm ready to speak and have an all and all sound outlook on life.


Don't like:


Unnecessary complications in technology in the name of improvement. A simple circular dial on the radio in my vehicle would beat the hell out of the "advance" button I have to constantly hit in order to change or find a station. In that same vein, I have an iPhone with the modern, cocksucking, "Generation WTF touch" movement employed to do anything. Why not just a goddamn dial with some tactile clicks? Then I would be dangerous. As it is now, I just cuss a lot when using the thing.


Like:


The occasional golf shot that does what it's supposed to do.


Dislike:


The inevitable local news report centering on what to do or not do when it's real hot outside or real cold. Yeah, I guess it's probably a good idea to drink some water when it's real hot. Thanks for telling me that. We've never had hot weather in Texas until you told me, Miss Reporterette.

2 comments:

Glenn Gunn said...

My brother gave me a subscription to Netflix. It's actually pretty useful. You select a list of movies on the Netflix webpage that you'd like to watch, Netflix mails you the first one. After watching, you mail it back and Netflix sends you the next one on your list. Iteration ensues.

You can re-order the list at any time. You can keep each movie as long as you like, but in the plan I have, I can only have one at a time.

Each time you select a movie to add to your list, Netflix suggests a list of similar movies to consider also adding to your list.

I added "The Border" to my list after reading Taras' post. Here are the movies Netflix suggested as similar:

The Godfather (Timeless Brilliance)
Terms of Endearment (Grossly overrated)
Reservoir Dogs (Overrated)
Heartburn (not seen)
16 Blocks (not seen)
Crash (not seen)
The Black Dahlia (not seen)
The Departed (not seen)
January Man (not seen)
The Bad Lieutenant (disturbingly brilliant) or (brilliantly disturbing)

They seemed to match on the actors. I would personally not include Terms of Endearment in any list along with The Border and The Bad Lieutenant.

Maybe I just don't understand the sophisticated and subtle nature of film review.

Ruprecht said...

If you select "Pulp Fiction", will they recommend "Look Who's Talking Two," ya' think? or perhaps one a 'dem Stah Wahs disasters from the late 90's and early Oughts?