Thursday, July 23, 2009

Criticism of "The Hurt Locker"


Saw "Hurt Locker" recently and liked it, but noted what I thought were a few irritating gaffs when it came to weapons and situational tactics. Apparently, this guy feels the same: http://ricks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2009/07/21/the_hurt_locker_recommended_but_with_reservations.




Still, I liked the movie and I think they got it mostly right. I had a meeting yesterday with a guy who did a couple of tours in Iraq as an Army captain. He hadn't yet seen the movie, but I discussed some of the things that I saw and questioned. In one instance in the movie, the demo guys are pinned down in the dessert by a sniper and team up to use a Barret rifle formerly manned by a dead British private contractor--doing so with apparent mastery (see above). I mentioned this to the former Army captain, questioning whether these guys would have the training to do that. "You'd be surprised," he said. "We did a lot of cross training with weapons and guys in a lot of different units know how to use pretty much everything." Fair enough. Anyway, go see it, but maybe leave the missus at home--it's pretty intense and graphic. Mine went with me and I'll be watching chick flicks for a year as payback.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liked most of the review! You could have left the chick comment out because it is a rather blanket statement about women. Some of us "chicks" were out there in it. So, I think that many of us could sit through a film like this with no complaints.

Taras Bulba said...

Point taken. And, thank you for your service to our country.

Unknown said...

While I will not argue with opinions, I must set one fact straight from the perspective of being retired US Army EOD...

US Army EOD Soldiers are assigned Barrett, .50 Cal, M82 Sniper Rifles. And yes, they require mastery.

Taras Bulba said...

Appreciate the input, Brian and a sincere thanks for your sacrifice on behalf of our country.