Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Handmaidens of Satan




I'm not a cat person and I suppose that most men fit into that category. In fact, I've never fully trusted men who are cat fanciers, suspecting that there is some gear missing or that they will possibly steal your breath at odd hours--something like that, though I've never really thought it out completely. When I was young and single, there was sort of an unwritten "man rule" when it came to women who had cats: avoid them. The reasoning here was that at some point in whatever relationship that developed with the young lady, she would face a decision pitting the cat against you, and that it would tax her already burdened sense of rational thought, probably to your detriment. Yes, this sounds piggish and sexist and all but it's also the cold, hard truth. Anyway, I would have probably put up with someone with a cat in a one bedroom apartment but it was never an issue. I did know a guy who, along with his girlfriend, housed a Burmese rock python in their apartment. She named it "Deborah" after his ex. The snake probably stole Deborah's breath, too.

No comments: