Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Throwing Woods


A pretty good story on Tiger's less than stellar behavior on the course: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?id=4347419. I don't particularly care for Reilly or read him religiously, but I agree with him calling out Woods for carrying on like an asshole on the course. Reilly points out that Watson et al don't do the same--they stay composed and take it like men when they're having a bad hole or day on the course. That's what a professional is supposed to do. Amateurs, too.

The game has certainly coarsened a little over the years and you can observe some fairly loutish antics on both public and private courses. Still, for the most part, it remains a cut above the rest and the manners that are part of the game are a big reason why a lot of people play it--decorum is integral to the sport when all else around you is going to hell. I like that. I also like urinating outdoors when given the opportunity, as well as spitting, smoking, etc. which you're entitled to when playing golf (I think it's Rule 324.5 in the R&A). You can also wear some fairly loud clothes and odd head wear and no one thinks much of it.

I've been playing a fair amount of golf recently, having joined a modest club convenient to my home and office. Can't say that my game has improved much, but I am enjoying it; walking mostly and occasionally hopping on a cart for the back nine. Most of the folks there are nice and not too smitten with the country club attitude--it's my first foray into the country club thing but I don't think we've got too many uppity types at this club. I do enjoy showing up and walking on at most times, not bothering for a tee time. Also, it's nice when the bartenders know your name and what you like to drink, and the high school guys down at the bag storage see you coming and have your clubs ready by the time you get to the range. Nice, I guess, and part of those little things, like tipping your hat to your playing partners at the end of the round that make golf something a little different. Did I mention taking a leak outdoors? Yeah, that's nice.

3 comments:

Glenn Gunn said...

Is a field expedient dump (FED) using ball washer towels beyond the boundaries of golf decorum? Or, should one just leave the course when presented with an irresistible urge to void?

Taras Bulba said...

By its very nature, a FED situation will override any other consideration, including the possible use of ball washing towels for fecal wipage. Preferably, one would utilize other materials on hand--I once surrendered a perfectly good bandana for such use by a friend faced with an imminent FED.
Glad to be of help on this.

Ruprecht said...

I'm probably the authority on this the topic at hand (don't ever use that). "Look at me! WRONG!"