Monday, December 14, 2009

GWTW: Still Humming


here's a piece on Gone With The Wind, now seventy years old and still going strong:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704779704574553710253199116.html. The first time I ever saw GWTW, I was around ten years old. Apparently, one of those nice movie theaters in Houston (most of them were subsequently razed) was showing the movie in a limited engagement which has been done in every decade since it was introduced. A couple of moms took several of us boys with them and we even had to wear coat and ties with the moms wearing nice dresses--the kind of thing people did when they went to the airport or downtown or whatever. I probably fidgeted through the entire thing, as the romance concept was a little above my pay grade at that point in life. Now, I'm always interested in seeing it and even took in the movie on the big screen at the Austin Paramount Theater a couple of years ago. All that said, I still can't stand Ashley Wilkes and wonder why women think so highly of Scarlett--I leave that up to the complicated machinations of the female mind.

No comments: