Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Shooting Sideways


Slate's "Explainer" talks about thugs who aim sideways and other aspects of being a dumbass:
http://www.slate.com/id/2238560/. Essentially, it's not exactly a new phenomenon (he cites Brando and Wallach as doing it before in movies) and gives a couple of historical examples, but it's not really effective.

My old man qualified as "expert" on the .45 during his time in the Corps. I know this because I inadvertently ordered a "sharpshooter" badge when I was assembling all of his decorations and awards and he spotted it right off when I presented him the real nice display I had made for him. Had to send off for the correct badge and get that piece of business squared away. They apparently shot one handed back in those days and his theory was always properly cradling the weapon when firing. Now, of course, everyone shoots two handed and they've weenied down to the 9mm in order to make the Euros happy and insure a more peaceful and humane way of shooting people.

I'm not a very good pistol shot because I don't practice shooting them. Shooting targets is one thing, but drawing down on a live animal is another (see Reynolds, Burt in "Deliverance"). I've shot wild hogs in traps on many occasions with a pistol and it's, at best, a grim business. The hogs are both enraged and frightened and you've got to maneuver the gun between the rebar for the kill shot. Whoever likes doing it is someone you should avoid at all costs--it's really ugly stuff. The feral hog problem has become huge in Texas and other states and there's nothing on the horizon that will check their advance. Smartest animals in the brush and that includes the guys trying to hunt them.

No comments: