Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend Round Up


Big weekend for war movies on TCM, etc. including Kelly's Heroes, which I have seen no fewer than 68 times but watched, yet again, yesterday when it came on just as I was finishing up a dinner of various grilled meat products. Wonderful film. Here's a link for some overlooked WWII movies including "Command Decision," starring Clark Gable:
http://bighollywood.breitbart.com/jjmnolte/2010/05/31/memorial-day-top-5-great-wwii-films-you-might-have-missed-2/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+BigHollywood+%28Big+Hollywood%29&utm_content=FaceBook.

Some other random Memorial Day neuron firings:

Clint Eastwood was eighty (80) years old yesterday. Watched an hour and half thing on his life in films that debuted on TCM last night. Not bad. Can't believe that Clint is 80. Also, hard to believe that "Unforgiven" was made 18 years ago--doesn't seem that long ago.

Worked my ass off in the yard under the direction and supervision of Mrs. Bulba and my lower back just called in to register a polite complaint.

Some things that I have decided that I don't care about:

1. The World Cup. I see no reason to go on attempting to like soccer and I have given it an honest effort. The games (I don't give a shit about calling them "matches") are largely pointless affairs, where spectators supply whatever action is to be had by drinking excessively, vomiting on one another, blowing whistles (or each other), and singing tunes that would be judged as highly gay in any Division I college football setting. And, don't get me started about persons who enjoy all the benefits of living and working in these United States but will heartily boo the same when they're up against "Los Tris" or whatever country that they have decided is most "in their heart." Fuck. Them.

2. The NBA Finals: I don't care. I have no interest. I'm not alone. This is what worries David Stern. It should.

3. "Assembly Required." Okay, I'm not good with mechanical issues and it's a cross that I bear but I'm done with idiotic instructions and missing parts and the hassle of cramming it all back in the box and returning it. Sell it to me as a turn key deal or I pass. And for the record, Loew's and Home Depot have some major suck issues going on.

The 1,000th American casualty in Afghanistan came and went last week and it was buried somewhere in the middle of your paper of choice. Couldn't help but think, "where's the outrage?" No, not from me but from the press, media, various interest groups, etc. Had BusHitler been president, such a milestone would have been met with front page leads and there would have been tons of activists in the streets expressing outrage at American hegemony and holding candles and channeling the shit out of Joan Baez. Nope. Didn't hear much at all. Same deal on the oil spill in the Gulf. Bush would have been drawn and quartered by now and the French would have recalled their ambassador or refused to use American deodorant or both. Instead, President Obama has had to suffer only a few veiled whispers regarding what can only objectively be called his largely hands off approach to the situation. Funny how that stuff works, isn't it?
Dennis Hopper is in for the dirt nap. Too few films with him as far as I'm concerned and Hopper in "Blue Velvet" still scares the shit out of me. Another one that I didn't see any mention of was his role in "Red Rock West." Nice little picture if you ever get a chance to see it.
Bill White is running for the office of Texas governor and he's going around campaigning wearing an "open road" style Stetson. And, he looks like a complete goober in it, which is no doubt a source of intense delight for Rick Perry's campaign staff--they probably ejaculate every time White shows up on TV with it on his curiously odd head. You frequently see supporters at various Democrat events in Texas wearing western style hats. It's always seemed to me a rather obvious attempt to counteract the "wuss" factor that accompanies the party. Suggestion: stop doing it. Be who you are--wear your much loved rasta cap with pride.

No comments: