Monday, November 10, 2008

leaders of men

Another cub scout campout and another few years off of my life expectancy. I enjoy weekends spent snuggling up to mother nature as much as the next guy, and get a charge out of working with other parents to instill a similar love and respect of the outdoors in our children. For a few days afterwards, though, I can't help looking forward to the day when most of those same kids are either visitors to some random state, federal or county facility or busy getting tanked at some far-away campus of higher learning...

1 comment:

Taras Bulba said...

I think scouting is a great thing and now regret that I didn't particpate past my first and only year in the Cub Scouts. We did a lot of craft things under the supervision of our transplanted Yankee den mother and I wasn't worth a shit at working with popsicle sticks to build little houses and stuff. I put up with it until learning that Boy Scouting did not involve firearms on each and every campout. Why go into the woods without shooting something?