Monday, April 12, 2010

Baseball Happenings




Here's something regarding the current series between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Houston Astros:
http://www.spikesnstars.com/2010/04/12/mudville-or-something-like-it/. Not real heavy duty stat geek stuff--just some random neuron firings regarding a team that's headed to nowhereville this season. That's a fact of life sometimes in any sport--that your team will sometimes (or many times) suck and there's little that you can do about it other than be a shitty fan and go buy a Red Sox hat and become another bandwagon turd. I admire people who decide to support their hometown team, be it some unlucky bastard from Cleveland or Minneapolis or wherever. That guy is a fan and not some front runner. The good thing about baseball is that you can sort of disappear during the season if things get uninteresting or whatever and come back and you'll still be able to find your team playing ball. I'll admit that's happened to me before when life got complicated. Anyway, baseball's here for a pretty good spell now, not to be replaced until September by the glory that is college football. Even then, I still enjoy pouring over the box scores each morning all the way until the season's done. For guys I don't like, I'm always hoping to find that they had an 0-5 game with an error and were later ejected for generally being a dickhead. For players I'm partial to, it's always nice to see they had a 3 for 4 game with a dinger and a couple if ribbies.


2 comments:

Glenn Gunn said...

Why is it that a team has to win in order to capture our attention?

Do you support, say, Roy Oswalt less because his team probably has no chance at a pennant?

Do you hate the Yankees because their players on average are paid more than twice the average of Astros players? Or do you hate them just because they are based in the Bronx? Or because they have a collection of Tiger Woods (with the possible exception of Jeter)?

If you were shipwrecked on a deserted island, would you want a guy with you whose sole talent is hitting a screaming 2 seam fastball into play less than a third of the time?

I am a little disgusted with professional sports right now. Tiger makes me believe that his attitude is more the norm than the exception.

Taras Bulba said...

Answers:
1. Because ESPN says so.
2. No, but I'm not the typical lazy, idiotic baseball illiterate that shows up for games at Minute Maid Park. That's not to say I'm not lazy and idiotic and illiterate in other areas, like algebra for example.
3. I don't really hate the players as much as I dislike the fans of those teams.
4. I'm pretty sure I would want a girl whose talents were not in hitting a baseball.
5. Ditto.