Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Hideousness of Flying


Here we have profiles of fliers and flying situations that you've all seen before:
http://www.slate.com/id/2252135. Reading this reminds me of why I hate, HATE to fly--I don't hate the up in the air flying part--it's the odious experience of entering the airport and what you have to endure once you're in the system--the delays, the shabby treatment, the awful behavior you witness, the obvious frailty of a system that is over-extended at always the wrong times. God, I've had some horrendous journeys. Not sure that I profile exactly under one of the many types described in the article but I do recall my wife and I once screaming (her in Spanish and me in English) in unison at corrupt and incompetent Mexico City gate personnel in order to absolutely squeeze the last four seats (we were travelling with the daughters) on the last flight out to Cancun. We were ultimately successful and I've never forgotten the poor schlubs that we out screamed who were destined to be thrown into the streets of the city, only to be further screwed, robbed, or set on fire or whatever. We've all got stories and I've got 'em in spades just like you do. Whenever I can, I try to go Southwest. Less bitterness in their work force and an overall more concerted effort to get you there in the expected time frame. All in all, though, I'd rather drive. Any day of the week. Tip: never fly Mexicana. Also, never connect through Mexico City. You can thank me for this advice.

No comments: