Monday, April 19, 2010

Chelsea. Lately.


Took Mrs. Bulba to the Chelsea Handler show/appearance/thingy at the Bass Concert Hall in Austin on Friday. In case you don't know about Ms. Handler, here's a recent Slate piece:
http://www.slate.com/id/2249607/. Handler has a show on the E! network on weeknights and is doing a concert tour to promote another new book she has out chronicling her exploits as a semi-drunken whore. She's pretty funny. The opening act was Joe Koi(y?) who was on his game--not sure if Chelsea really topped him, so to speak. Lots of twenty and thirty something females along with a smattering of husbands/dates and a strong showing by the local gay male population that excelled at making really gay hand gestures. I'm not sure that I saw anyone older than me. I've noticed that whenever I'm at one of these things where there are a lot of young women around, it's easy to tell that they think of you as the "safe dad like figure" which gives them a kind of a sense of peace of mind in case a flat needs to be repaired or money needs to be loaned or "can you pretend you're my dad so that the creepy guy over there will leave me alone" or whatever. Ah, age. Anyway, the missus seemed to enjoy herself which is good because I dropped a shit load of cash on this deal--comedy ain't cheap, at least a hot act like Handler's.

2 comments:

nimdok said...

"...whenever I'm at one of these things...” By "things" I'm guessing that you mean events that attract "...a strong showing by the local gay male population...”

I wonder if the smattering of twenty-something females scattered throughout such crowds are the only ones who think of you as "daddy"...

Taras Bulba said...

Bringing the smack, are we nimdok? Yeah, I guess I need to sharpen the pencil a little more when I write something. Otherwise, the mental picture that you have so generously provided is not entirely pleasant.