Tuesday, April 13, 2010

England and Breakfast


An interesting Sunday Times article on the traditional English breakfast and how it and England are both changing as the face of the country changes:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/eating_out/article7090738.ece?print=yes&randnum=1271146469218. Not earth shattering if you grew up over here and have seen the evolution of breakfast to unlimited offerings but it is sort of a big deal there. I've had the traditional English breakfast many times, mostly at guest houses in Bath and other places--I don't recall beans or hash browns with it, but certainly the bangers and fried eggs and sickly cooked tomato all with the smell more or less of burning grease. That's the one thing that I noticed--when I smell breakfast on the way here, it's an inviting aroma. It seemed over there that it was more a smell of someone spilling grease on the burner. Anecdotal and being a big breakfast fan, I'll always be willing to give a full English another try on my next visit.

2 comments:

nimdok said...

Best English breakfast I ever had was also in Bath, England. Wonderful, and I do recall beans being a part of it. I will say that I steered clear of the black pudding, having neither the balls nor the stomach to give that a go.
Coffee came in a French Press, and I'm not ashamed to say that I didn't have a clue how to use the damn thing. The English Innkeeper, to his credit, kept hidden any contempt he may have felt for my doublewide ignorance as he showed me the proper way to use it. Humiliation aside, that was a damn fine cup o' joe.

Taras Bulba said...

Yes, the coffee press is excellent and made quite passable stuff. I also got a kick out of the "rack of toast" where they placed toast on this kind of rack thing. I do recall that they used to look at me curiously when I refused sugar or cream or whatever for both coffee or tea.