Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Ashes


It's Ash Wednesday, sinners, the beginning of Lent: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lent. Time to reflect on the wretchedness of your condition and fast and pray and generally think about what a disgusting lout you are. Most Catholics will also give up something or pledge to do something differently during this season leading up to Easter. Maybe it will mean giving up chocolate or alcohol or resolving not to curse--all noble things and sometimes people actually pull it off. It's a good thing that Lent comes when it does--can you imagine trying to get through Lent during football season? No way.


I've been a fairly poor attendee at mass these last few years but I'll go to Ash Wednesday services, if for nothing else to be reminded of my own mortality, if I'm not reminded enough each time I wheeze and grunt through an exercise session. The service itself is notable for its somber tone and the celebration that usually accompanies a Catholic mass is noticably muted. I kind of like that and I like that the lenten season at least allows a venue to expand your thinking a little beyond the obvious of the here and now. Sure, faith is part of it for most, but for those lost souls wandering along to who knows where, the contemplation part of these next forty or so days is heightened a little more. At least, I may hopefully think a little bigger as a result. In any event: Remember, O man, that you are dust, and unto dust you shall return. Modern translation: No one gets out alive.

Have a happy day.

No comments: