Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Confidential


Interesting story on the defunct gossip rag, Confidential:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=123584348. Like the Enquirer today, it seems they were usually largely accurate in their reporting (see Edwards, Piece of Shit John). My mother used to embarrass the crap out of me buying the Enquirer or like scandal sheets at the grocery store and then in later years by sweetly demanding that I pick one up for her on the way over for a visit. Nothing quite says, "This guy is a tool" like laying down a copy of the Star on the conveyor belt. Unless, of course, it's accompanied by cat food and feminine hygiene products.

Mrs. Bulba has an uncle who is a former Hollywood type and has gobs of gossip stories from his days in the acting bidness. One favorite is him riding around town with Jack Palance, with Big Jack casually pointing out various hotels/motels they would pass by as the scene of his encounters with various well known actresses. I'll just say that Jack was a helluva player. Speaking of Palance, I read recently that a reporter asked him (a year or so before he died) what picture got his Oscar vote and Palance replied that he gave his ballot to a niece and let her fill it out. I think about that each year while I'm shaking my head at not only what and who gets nominated along with the eventual "winner." That's the way it works out there. BTW, I've been watching "Southland" on TBS (it's a police drama set in L.A.) and I give it a thumbs up. Not too bad, thus far.

No comments: