Friday, March 26, 2010

The Old Man


The old man died four years ago today; I was holding his hand when he suddenly opened his eyes and made an "umph" sound and then let out a long, last breath. He'd been in a coma for three days-- finally succumbing to small cell cancer of the lungs, something he probably got from scar tissue from when he had half of one lung removed in the late 50s; a result of Camels or sucking in smoke from fighting fires or breathing in all the chemicals from the Texas Gulf Coast or the War or all of the above. By cancer standards, his wasn't a particularly hard death: he was in a sort of morphine haze much of those last six or seven months and didn't endure a great amount of pain. I'd make the two hour drive over on most every Saturday morning during that period to cook him breakfast--he kind of liked that--then we'd chat for a spell, and then he would drift off and I would then visit with mom and do a few chores before eventually heading back.

When someone dies in your presence, it understandably takes a while to process it--the crying and hugging between relatives and friends also present--each with his or her own personal touch with the deceased and each with a unique outlook on what just happened. Someone (in this case, me) makes a call to the nice hospice people who pretty much know based on experience a general 24 hour window when death will occur. They then notify the funeral folks and both arrive at around the same time. The kind hospice lady asks where the narcotics are and then you and she both go into the bathroom where you witness her emptying the stuff into the toilet and flushing it away. You then sign something saying that she did that. The funeral home guys quietly and efficiently move the body onto their gurney and into a black, plastic zip up bag--the funny thing is that I remember that his tattooed right arm was left hanging out for some reason. He'd cautioned me as a kid never to get a tattoo in that they were "permanent." His was originally some affair dedicated to his first wife and no doubt gained via the encouragement of adult beverages while on his first Hawaii liberty call. The spot on the design where the name had originally been shown was subsequently blocked out, so the overall effect of the thing was always to me sort of a nondescript faded green blob warning of the dangers of tattooing. Guess it stuck--haven't yet got one. Anyway, the funeral guys rolled the old man out the door and down the sidewalk leading to the street and were quickly gone into the night. I stood there and surmised, "I guess this is how it all works."

I thought of the old man recently when I watched the interviews and comments of the men portrayed in the "Pacific" series running on HBO. Like them, he was a young Marine in that mess and like most of those that made it back, he did not like talking about it. I was always fascinated by World War II and military history in general and we played a sort of undeclared cat and mouse game over the years with me trying to extract information and him doing a pretty decent job of stonewalling. He'd let out a few nuggets here and there but he did not like dwelling or discussing the "bad stuff" and much preferred conferring humorous or self depreciating incidents. One of the milestones of my life was one day realizing how insensitive I was regarding what he must have endured--it was at a barbecue at my house once right after I was married. I was multi-tasking in a big way and noticed him sitting in front of the television while I was popping inside to get a tray or whatever. "Here, dad: watch this" and I casually inserted a tape I had recently found on the Tarawa Invasion in which he participated and then I went back outside to burn meat and swig brews with friends. Later, I glanced inside the sliding glass door and saw the old man crying like I had never seen him cry before--he was sobbing and my mother was doing her best to comfort him. To say I felt a little low about myself would be just a tad of an understatement. What he and other men who have been in wars never get over are the men that they knew (and didn't know) who didn't make it back. Survivor's guilt I think they call it. I don't have that about the old man but I still do think of the times when I wasn't there for him or didn't respond in kind to the affection he showed to me--a common theme with children--my own will probably one day have it (or, maybe not). Mine is the guilt of ungrateful or insensitive rotten kids.

I'll wrap this up by saying that I wish I could talk with him again. He came to me once in a dream a couple of years ago and it was startling--I'm still not sure it wasn't real and have been trying to figure it out ever since. If he were still alive, we'd have a few minutes this morning on the phone to catch up and I would probably mention the HBO series to him and he'd mumble something and deflect it away and we'd then move on to the "damn Democrats" or the "damn Astros" or the gravy mom put on his biscuits, or recollections of hunting dogs long dead but not forgotten. I would note his inflection and pronunciation of certain words ("symbol" and "emblem" always wound up as "semblem") and "police" was always, "PO-lice." I didn't like seeing him suffer and glad he went relatively easy, but I do miss the old man. Always will.



3 comments:

Glenn Gunn said...

My dad is 94 and his ability to carry on a conversation is rapidly declining.

Is there anything you (or your loyal readers) wish you had said/discussed/heard with/from your dads?

I have this somewhat vague thought that there is something I should come clean with. It's not just telling him I love him; I have done that.

Any lessons from experience?

Taras Bulba said...

I wish I had been better in the "unconditional love" department when it came to my dad. I'm better at it now but that's been a problem area for me and was complicated by some pretty bad stuff that went on in our family. Wish I could have been better putting that aside during his last months and spent time just holding his hand and telling him that I loved him.

nimdok said...

I wish had made him feel more involved with my life - in other words, let him feel like my father - than I did.

At some point years ago, after my parents finally split, I came down on the side of my mother. Not really consciously, and certainly not overtly, but I’m pretty sure it was clear to him. My rationale (justification) was that I was just doing my best to keep the family peace, which to no small degree was true. I’d seen the shit my older brother went through, trying to give equal parts of his/his family’s time to each of them, and I wasn’t going to put my wife and family through that.

So, I took the easy way out.

I stayed in touch with my dad, and always called him on special occasions, Christmas, etc. My wife and I traveled to the east coast to surprise him on both his 75th and 80th birthdays, and I know he truly appreciated that. However, when it came to the milestones of my life, he wasn’t included. Being the man he was, he seemed to understand my reasoning and never once complained about it.

I guess my answer to you is that I, like Mr. Bulba, was given the opportunity to tell my father that I loved him, and that I was proud to be his son. And I did so. My regret is that for the later part of his life my actions spoke differently, and certainly louder than the words of a grieving son.