Thursday, March 25, 2010

Spectator's Best Films


Stumbled upon this:
http://image.examiner.com/x-9888-Salt-Lake-City-Movie-Events-Examiner~y2009m8d3-Spectator-magazine-lists-their-50-greatest-films. It's a list of the 50 best films of all time, according to the wise and frequently hilarious old heads at The Spectator (great weekly magazine). I agree with a lot, disagree with many, haven't seen even more, and can't wait to get off of my dead ass to finally watch, "Night of the Hunter" since I keep reading how fantastic it is. Missing are several that I would put in the top 50, if not in the top 10:

"Paths of Glory"

"Dr. Strangelove": how could they have possibly missed this one?

"The Bridge on the River Kwai"

"Blazing Saddles": perfect irreverence.

There's more but I can't think of them right now due to an impending trip to the men's room.

Also, since the mag grouped both "Godfathers" together (the third one should be stricken from the record books), then I would likewise put Ford's cavalry trilogy together to fit in the top 50.
I miss ol' Ward Bond (pictured above) and, "Let us go amongst them" is one of my favorite lines from that movie. Next time you see "Taxi Driver," think about "The Searchers." Scorcese certainly did.

No comments: