Friday, April 10, 2009

Dandy Don


Meredith turns 71 today. Hard to believe. One tough son of a bitch but he couldn't get by that Packer bunch in '66 and '67, with the hellish cold doing him in during the last one. From what I've read, he couldn't get along with Landry, either but I don't know how much of that is fact or maybe overblown. He walked away early--I think he was just tired of it all or maybe just tired of taking the licks that came his way--there wasn't much in the way of quarterback coddling in his time. Now, he hangs out in Santa Fe and doesn't go in for much in the way of public appearances or basking in the adulation. I've got to think, however, that more than just occasionally, his mind wanders back to that tight game in the Cotton Bowl and the frozen tundra up north and what could have been. Salud, Dandy Don. You were a favorite.

2 comments:

Glenn Gunn said...

There has been no MNF analyst more entertaining than Don. He even made Frank and Howard tolerable.

I almost can't listen to Tony Cornrow, Joe Heist-man, or Ron Jawsman.

Don made watchable even the Cowboys getting beat by St. Louis Cardinals 38-0.

Ruprecht said...

"They look look like a high school team tonight!"

When Dandy got off that line during the Monday night beatdown HS references, my father sent me to bed.