Thursday, April 16, 2009

Whatever you say, boss


Let me start by saying that I'm not a smoker. Except for the occasional stogie - which I always enjoy immensely - the fireplace, the grill, and more birthday candles than I care to admit to are about the only things I ever fire up. I can't even say as I've ever even tried a cigarette. With that in mind, one might suppose that I'm a big proponent of "no-smoking" ordinances. Think again.

Within the last week a ban on smoking in bars a pool halls went into effect in my little patch of Texas heaven. Bars and pool halls? True enough, some of the things (okay, women) I see at such places make me feel young again, but I can't say honestly say that I ever visited either for my health. Quite the opposite, I guess. Also can't remember a bar or pool hall forcing me to walk through the front door, nor one making me stay if I didn't want to. And correct me if I wrong, but aren't such businesses meant for adults?

Well, anyway, last night was the first chance I've had to experience my favorite smoky joint - sans smoke. Must admit it was mighty nice to breath deeply while tasting the latest exotic IPA to hit the taps, and to actually be able to read the latest score in the Rangers game when I checked the tv behind the bar. No all-engulfing haze. No invasive odor. No pillow/bed/closet smelling like an ashtray this a.m. (big points with the missus for that one).

To say I enjoyed the change would be an understatement. But saying such and signing off on big bro's latest intrusion into my life are two different things. Had management of the establishment in question made the choice to go smokeless, I would have been the first to give a thumbs up. Other regulars might not be as happy about it as I, and might choose to go elsewhere. But that's okay - they would still have a choice. As they did before. As I did before.

Such intrusions on our personal freedoms are becoming commonplace, and general complacency means those self-appointed guardian angels will soon be knocking on your door. Looking forward to grilling some steaks this weekend? Sorry, you've already had your quota of animal flesh this week, and your last check-up showed your cholesterol to be a tad high. Besides, your neighbors might be vegans, and if they happened to be outside the aroma wafting from your grill would offend them greatly. They don't drink either, so you had better take that beer inside. Oh, and you can forget about butter or sour cream on that baked potato - too many trans-fats. Beans? Come on now, you know you've about maxed out your carbon footprint this month, and you know the amount of GHGs those things can produce...

As the little girl once said, "They're heeee're...". And they ain't going away.

4 comments:

Taras Bulba said...

Smoking is insidious. I hadn't smoked in seven years and recently began hitting on them again here and there. Awful to be an addict.

Shellback said...

I used to enjoy an occasional cigar but found some years ago that they started leaving a bad taste so I've been smoke-free but not tobacco-free for many years.

Glenn Gunn said...

Confirming that there is nothing worth knowing that is not in Wikipedia, I present the following:

The Texas House failed to pass proposed legislation for a statewide ban in 2007. Both Amarillo and Galveston rejected proposed bans. Houston only passed its ban in 2007. Dallas has had a ban in place since 2003 for businesses, restaurants, and city offices. The new ban only adds bars and pool halls to the existing ordinance.

Lurch said...

I once found myself at a stoplight cursing the driver in the car ahead of me because, both with our windows down, his cigarette smoke was finding its way into my car. It took me a few seconds to recognize the foolishness of this, yet it is so infrequent that I'm anywhere near cigarette smoke anymore it almost seemed reasonable.