Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Got an itch?


Well, then scratch it: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article6046414.ece. Glad they did a study to arrive at this finding. I've always thought Lyndon Johnson's line to Lady Bird early in their marriage (reported by Robert Caro in his masterful bio) sort of captured what most of us ignorant crackers thought about the subject: "I ain't like one of them fraternity boys in Austin--when I got an itch, I scratch it." Of course, Lyndon was referring to his legendary nocturnal desires when he said this, but you get the drift. I've heard a lot of first hand Johnson stories over the years. Once, I was in a restored office building near the Johnson City town square and was told by the occupant that during Johnson's administration it was used as apartments for his secret service detail (the LBJ ranch in Stonewall was just down the road). Years later, I actually met one of his secret service guys and recounted the apartment story to him. He sort of chuckled and told me that it was true that the space was a kind of an apartment, but it had a different use--wink, wink, you get my drift, he said. I guess Lyndon needed a little respite from mending fences and tearing up Cadillacs on his ranch roads while also trying to understand just what the hell Hubert Humphrey was talking about. I've got others, but we'll leave 'em for a future digression. Oh, by the way, Blue Star Ointment is good for red bugs and such. Better though to stay out of the weeds in the first place, you heathens.

1 comment:

Glenn Gunn said...

I'm fascinated by this comment in the article:

"The mechanism by which scratching suppresses an itch is unknown."

So, we fund a research grant to a bunch of scientists. They design a series of statistically valid experiments on macaque monkeys. And, they end up not knowing why scratching solves an itch?

You'd think they were French . . .