Saturday, April 25, 2009

Piano News



Here's a piece from Denis Dutton from 2007 regarding an old hag who faked a series of piano performances and gained international acclaim before somebody finally said, WTF? Interesting reading: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/26/opinion/26dutton.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1.



I don't know jack about music and there's really no other excuse but laziness. Even if you don't play or sing, you can still be educated about the subject but my eyes tend to gloss over whenever I'm tempted to learn something about what makes a certain piece of music good or why Beethoven is better than Mozart or whatever. I do like the stuff, though. All kinds, too. As we speak, I'm reviewing playlists on my ipod for the Saturday morning heavy workout. Typically, I go for something high energy with a take no prisoners attitude. This morning, I'm a little more mamby pamby, so maybe Springsteen or some other whining "The Russians Love Their Children, Too" artiste gets a listen. I don't know. Probably will revert back to a standby whenever indecision reigns--that little ol' band from Texas--you know what I'm talking about.
I took piano lessons once when I was a kid. The old man, despite being a hard ass had a soft spot for "piana music" so I was dispatched to the home of "Miss Edna," an old lady who was in my mom's Eastern Star chapter who taught piano music to ignorant redneck children. Miss Edna was a sweet old lady and all (she had terrible arthritis that had crippled her hands) but she had the worst breath I have ever experienced, and bench time with her was a horrid experience. Too, playing the piano was way down on my priority list when it came to baseball and football and throwing rocks at my cousins and perfecting curse words and throwing frogs onto the lighted barbecue grill and the eternal quest of seeking fireworks at all times. You get the drift. I did make it to one recital and discovered the phenomena that are finger sandwiches. Those things are tasty and I can pretty much eat forty without much effort. So, I guess Miss Edna wasn't a total failure and I think of her kindly whenever I'm throwing down those pimento cheese filled delights.

Please note that the young lady above has never plagarized piano music and we apologize for any allegations of such upon her character.

2 comments:

Shellback said...

Only one question - who's the girl?

Taras Bulba said...

The Miss Edna of her youth.