Thursday, April 23, 2009

Parental Advice and Thoughts on Napping


Some English fellow over at Slate has a few suggestions for all of you parents of young uns: http://www.slate.com/id/2216568. It's often hard being a parent, knowing the right thing to do for your child or children. I fell into the category of being extremely conscientious, though I tried to use good sense as a fallback position whenever possible. Looking back now, I think it would have been much better to have played more golf, fished a lot, gone to bars with friends and generally to have behaved more like guys of my old man's generation. You want the best for your kids but what's really best is that they grow up as independently as possible and with their own sense of identity and worth. No, I don't mean not paying attention to them and leaving them alone. I mean that both you and they will be happier if they see the old man happy after doing his own thing. Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking with it. Oh, also, taking naps is good. If you have someone like this young lady to help you in the process, all the better.

No comments: