Sunday, April 5, 2009

New Orleans Beer


Just for you nimdok - from the NY Times no less.

March 27, 2009

New Orleans Gets Its Brews Back

By NICK KAYE


I ROLLED into New Orleans on a cool afternoon, putting the windows of my car down to let a twangy version of the standard “James Alley Blues” out and up into the clear, cornflower sky.
“Times ain’t now nothing like they used to be,” went the song on the radio, and I thought to myself, “You can say that again.”

The difficult recent history of the Crescent City hangs like a specter over gutted houses and weedy, desolate lots. But despite the tough times, the spirit of New Orleans is as wily as ever. Arriving there still feels like showing up at a party in full swing.

Visitors come for a number of things that the city does like nowhere else: the music, the food, the architecture. I, however, was in town with just one thing in mind — beer.

The history of brewing in New Orleans is as cloudy as an unfiltered ale, little known outside its confines. Once a regional beer capital, it turned out a slew of popular brands like Falstaff, Jax, Regal and Dixie...


http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/27/travel/escapes/27beer.html?sq=new%20orleans%20beer&st=cse&scp=2&pagewanted=print

3 comments:

Taras Bulba said...

Jax and Falstaff were common beers of my youth though I don't ever remember drinking one.

Glenn Gunn said...

Excellent article. Thanks for posting.

nimdok said...

Excellent timing, SB. I'll be in Nawlins for 7 days or so in June, and look forward to doing some of my own tasting.
fwiw, Schlitz and Falstaff were the beers I most remember seeing in our fridge many years ago.