Friday, March 27, 2009

The Big Bands




Peter Robinson writes and posts on "The Corner "for National Review from time to time. He wrote this article for Forbes recently and posted a couple of YouTube links to go with it.

Little Brown Jug


03.27.09, 12:01 AM ET


Looking over the Internet this past week, I noticed that Christopher Buckley had expressed his disapproval of President Obama yet again, this time chiding the chief executive for his television appearance with Jay Leno. "I thought," Buckley wrote, "he was a serious person."

My heart sank. This was the second time in three weeks, by my count, that Buckley had recanted his support for Obama. I had a weekly column to write. Politics seemed stuck in a rut.

Just then my two oldest children thundered down the hall to burst into my room.
"We just found the coolest song," said my daughter, a senior in high school.

"You've got to hear it," her brother, a sophomore said, handing me his iPod.

I inserted the earbuds. A growling, boogie-woogie like piano. Drumsticks on a cymbal. A sudden, lush upwelling of saxophones, followed a moment later by a trumpet blast.

"'Little Brown Jug,'" I said, after listening for only a few seconds. "Glenn Miller and his orchestra."

My daughter and son exchanged a look of amazement. "How did you know?" my daughter asked.

"Your grandfather," I replied.

Rest of the article:


Links posted with the article:


1 comment:

Shellback said...

That should be a Chesterfield cigarette that Glenn Miller is holding in the picture.

Chesterfield sponsored his radio broadcasts so he smoked them. I'm sure they helped to relax him and be at his best for big shows, especially when he had extended segments to play on his trombone. Nothing beats a Chesterfield!