Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I Used to Think, Therefore I Was


Check out this demo/explanation of the latest high-tech gadgetry that promises to "revolutionize our lives". That may well be, but I personally see such a device doing no more than further accelerating our journey down de-evolution lane.

A quick reminder - my commenting on high tech gizmos is as absurd and useless as Shellback recommending a good beer. I'm the proverbial stick-in-the-mud, "...when I was a kid we had to actually dial a phone, you lazy bastard..." type when it comes to electronic toys. No, I don't own a PDA. My cell phone came free with a cheap plan and was outdated 4 years ago. I've never put the bud of an Ipod into my ear. My lap is reserved for newspapers or binders, as no laptop has my name on it. Until recently I didn't even have a cd player in my car. All music I listen to at home is generated by a turntable (look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about).

I guess if "nimdok" rings a bell with you, you already knew all of that.

Anyway, my disgusted reaction to such a device has little to do with the device itself, or even the technology behind it. I mean, it is pretty damn cool. And the brainpower/technology behind its conception? Think Jethro being asked to comment on Mr. Drysdale's investment strategy re: Uncle Jed's money and you'll understand why I won't even go there. It boggles my mind.

No, the waves of nausea are caused by the sheer delight we take in capitulating our right to think for ourselves. I mean, do I really need to be hardwired into the information super highway to choose which brand of toilet paper I should buy? Do I want my senses dulled to the point that I need an electrical big brother whispering in my ear, telling me that the smarmy asshole I'm shaking hands with is a personal injury attorney? Is it just so physically debilitating to reach for my cell phone or look at my watch that I need checking the time to be made even easier?

Hell no. I'm perfectly able, and more than willing, to make bad decisions, jump to snap judgements, and actually find/look at/decipher a clock on the wall - all on my own. As I said, I'm a bit old fashioned.

1 comment:

Taras Bulba said...

The CIA should be all over this. Also, the Trilateralists and the Catholics. Maybe even the Templars. Dan Brown probably jerked off twice while reading this story. At least.