Monday, March 9, 2009

John Milius and Napalm


Here's a profile on John Milius, one of the few original thinkers in Hollywood: http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Movies/03/09/john.milius.movies/index.html. I've been interested in Milius a long time as he fills the bill as a larger than life character. You see him him from time to time in military documentaries, commenting on some general, a battle, or a sweet belt fed weapon. He's also in "Riding Giants" about the big wave surfers of Hawaii and California that we talked about a few weeks back. Milius is one of those guys you'd like to hang with over a few cocktails and a campfire with meat cooking over the flames and the sound of coyotes nearby. I hope we get to see more things out of him before he keels over. That's how I feel about Duvall--by the time he was really "discovered" by the general audience he was already into middle age. Now, he's too old to play roles that he would have dominated and commanded in his younger years. I'll be optimistic that we'll get another Milius and Duvall at some point but I can't think of any of the current "talent" out there that could hold a candle to those two. They smell like victory.

3 comments:

Glenn Gunn said...

I had never heard of him. I agree he sounds like a guy who would be very entertaining based, for me, largely on the fact that he wrote the screenplay for a movie directed by John Huston.

Taras, do you by any chance have a rug that really ties the room together?

Taras Bulba said...

Funny you should say that. I actually have a rug in the bed of my truck. It had been in my storage shed and I was going to throw it out but was seized at the last moment by the wringing reminder that went off in my head not to do anything with an item of room decor without first consulting with and being granted spousal approval. She, of course, scolded me for not throwing it out sooner but I felt wonderfully alive knowing that I had not fucked up. Next stop: dumpster at the office where I make weekend raids during the spring and summer for illegal yard wast stuffage. This is how your criminal mind works.

Shellback said...

Good article. I recall his name on the NRA board from reading "American Rifleman".
Hollywood needs more like him but that will never happen.