Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Òlamaid deoch-slàinte!


On New Year's Day I was fortunate to spend the day with friends who appreciate the finer things in life: sports, booze and fatty foods. It is the one day of the year that I am guaranteed to drink something that is ordinarily out of my price range. But since I'm getting it for free...


Anyway, this year was no exception. Another guest was kind enough to bring a bottle of Aberlour a'bunadh. Now, I'm not ordinarily a connoisseur of scotch, so I was damned near the last to belly up to the bar. Glad I finally did.


Several things struck me about the whisky that was being poured. First of all, it didn't look like scotch - looked more like bourbon, almost orange in its tint. Secondly, it smelled more like bourbon. And yes, when I finally got around to tasting it, it had an amazing smoothness to it, almost creamy, like some of the better bourbons I've been fortunate to sip. It was most definitely scotch, but I guess you would call it a really nice blend of the finer points of both a good bourbon and a good scotch.


So the next time you get your hands on a really good cigar and find that no White House intern is in the vicinity, don't waste the moment. Fire that bad boy up and enjoy it with a glass of Aberlour a'bunadh.

10 comments:

Taras Bulba said...

I've got something smooth and creamy for you.

nimdok said...

I'll bet you do...

Glenn Gunn said...

I think he was referring to his Korean neighbor.

Taras Bulba said...

Some of the guys over at the SnS baseball site are big single malt fans and get semi-wood at the thought of sipping on some of that stuff crafted by demented, haggis eating Scots. I'd like to try some of it, but I lack quality friends and tend to spend most of my discretionary dollars on wine spritzers and finger sandwiches. Is that wrong?

nimdok said...

depends...do you have big tits and a great ass?

Taras Bulba said...

I have a 5:30pm fitting for a Man-zeer.

Glenn Gunn said...

Very impressive, by the way, to come up with Scottish toast. Can you correctly pronounce it? If so, would enjoy hearing in person . . .

Taras Bulba said...

Good. nimdok likes to talk dirty. Allegedly.

nimdok said...

I believe that I can, and would look forward to doing so. We need to make that happen.

Ruprecht said...

Preferably not in Central Texas, though.